Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why I'm Five

I've never really had a strong desire to grow up. In fact, I often look at my youth with a profound sense of longing, wishing I could go back to the days when I didn't have to pay rent or electricity and when my biggest worry was whether or not I had a downward slope in my backyard for the slip n slide.

People have always told me I act just like a kid. I get excited about the dumbest stuff and today, when I opened my Happy Meal, I understood what they were saying.
First of all, who in the world doesn't get excited about a meal that has the word 'happy' in it? I know I sure do. So, I ordered my cheeseburger happy meal (sans onions) and my eyes wandered to the blessed area on the menu board where they display the featured happy meal toy. Gang, it was Hello Kitty. Now, there are few things in this world that I get excited about (lies) and Hello Kitty, well she's just right up there on my top ten list with glittery lip gloss and hot pink fingernail polish.

So, I pulled up, paid my money, received my meal of happiness and I'm sure you can guess what I did next. I opened up the bag and my eyes got real big and my mouth opened with excitement because there it was! Hello Kitty! I could have cared less about the food at that point and somewhere in the back of my head, I could hear a stern parental voice telling me that I wasn't allowed to play with my Hello Kitty until I had eaten at least half my hamburger and seven fries. I'm not even gonna tell you what I did when I found out there were Hello Kitty stickers inside my already fabulous Hello Kitty toy (let's just say there was grinning and clapping...)
So, I'm back at my grown up job now with Hello Kitty stickers placed in a very adult-like manner on the following surfaces: My keyboard, the doorknob to my door, my shirt, and the backs of each of my hands. And, I'm not gonna lie, there will probably be one on my face before the end of the day. Let's give it up to the Lord for Hello Kitty stickers.

Also, I just wanted to add that my roomate, being in complete understanding of my childlike mentality, made me pancakes last night that spelled "Katy." There was lots of grinning and clapping then, too.

No comments: