Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Quintessential Luke



Well, Luke. You turned 16 yesterday. I still can't believe it. I still can't believe you've been on this planet for a long enough period of time that the government somehow believes it's okay to hand you a license allowing you to operate a moving vehicle...that moves...and drives...on roads n stuff. I can still remember when I was told that I would be a big sister. I was 8 years old and thought I would be the baby of the family forever. Then you came along.

I was so in awe of you. I remember the phone call I got from dad at the hospital when he called to tell me you had finally been born. I was thrilled. I learned quickly how to scoop you up in my arms and change your diaper and make you smile. You weren't really a person in my world. You were more like a new toy. Something I could carry around and put outfits on. And you were spoiled. Being the first male child of the family and the newest baby in almost 8 years, everyone pretty much thought you hung the moon.



We all wanted to be the ones to feed you and put you to sleep. We fought over who would get to push you in the stroller and who would give you a bath. But, in the end, I think I won....You see, Luke, I don't think I ever told you this, but I used you as my fifth grade science project. It was a brilliant project that had a lot to do with raw vegetables and your reactions to certain foods. The details aren't important. Mainly because I was never good at Science. And you turned out fine, so no worries. Just please stay away from corn fields in July.



After the wonder of babyhood wore off, we sort of started to not get along, you and I. In fact, I loathed and despised you for the second and third year of your life. It might have something to do with my infamous competitive nature and the fact that you stole all the attention right out from under me. Or it might have something to do with the fact that pure evil invaded your body for those two years and directed all its hate and malice towards me. Whatever the case may be, let's just say you got away with a whole lotta crap while I got blamed for it. Thanks.




But we grew up and started to kind of like each other. I started to feel a strong connection to you when I realized your eyes were gonna stay blue, therefore making us the only blue-eyed children in the family. I also grew to respect your fondness for reading and your fascination with little plastic army men. Luke, you had army men everywhere. There were army men floating in the toilet at one point, I think.

Then, it seemed like over night you changed into this little man. You developed all these wonderfully human characteristics which, unfortunately for you, are almost identical to our father's. You have such a great talent at being at ease with the world. Nothing affects you too greatly. You show such amazing kindess to others and I've always believed you have this innate sense of rightness that is just forever imbedded in your character. You make it impossible for anyone to ever be mad at you. Frustrated to the point of delusion, yes. But mad, no. Your brothers look up to you and I think you have done a pretty good job of setting a strong example for them.



But the coolest thing is that you've managed to teach me some stuff over the years, too. If there's one thing I admire about you, it's your bravery. You are always very honest with yourself and that takes a lot of strength of character and wisdom. You are determined, but not in a conventional way. You are determined to be yourself which is more than a lot of people can boast. Most of us are too busy trying to fit in.

And even though it scares me to pieces that you are going to be behind the wheel of a car that's too big for any sixteen year old to drive (don't get me started), I know you will do your best to have fun while maintaining integrity. And if you start to drive like an idiot, I will sooooo bring up the resentment I've supressed from the years you were Satan to me and I will kick your ass. Don't think I won't.



Love you, bubba. Happy 16th.

No comments: