Sunday, February 17, 2008

I Make A Bomb Mix Tape...I'm Not Gonna Lie

Ahhhhhh mix tapes. Is it 'mix tapes' or 'mixed tapes'??? For all intents and purposes, I'm going with just 'mix.' Suck it.

Okay....music is undeniably one of my most favorite things in the whole galaxy. You know how when you are in a desert and haven't had water for 5 days (not 6, after 6 you would die) and you're like 'crap, i need some water!' and then all of a sudden a cactus appears and you suddenly remember all those movies you saw long ago where they tell you that 'hey! you can drink a cactus!' and then you do, you drink the cactus and it's the best thing you've ever tasted because it means you're actually gonna live and then you start thinking the desert isn't such a bad place after all because. of. the. cactus. Welllll....music is my cactus.

And when I get filled up by music, one of my other favorite things is to share it with people. So, over the years (since 1991 to be exact) I've been making mixes for me and my friends. I remember sitting in my room listening to the radio as a kid and calling in requests and having my hand on the 'record' button of my boom box and starting and stopping the tape just in time so that the dumb deejay wouldn't be on the mix. Man, those were fun days.

Thankfully, those days aren't over for me, thanks to iTunes and my incessant need to express myself musically since I was clearly passed up on the day God was giving out musical talent. It's okay, really. I love to just sit and find songs and create what I like to call "atmosphere cds" (okay, I just made that up...I'm not that lame). But, really, my musical mixes are very mood dependant. When I was young, I would base my mix on whoever I was mixing for and that hasn't changed. But the songs are still about me. They are the songs that are valuable to me and they say things that words can't say. And when you give that kind of crap away to a person, you'd better make sure they understand the value of that. Not everyone deserves a mix tape.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the cactus metaphor. Wow, no doubting your sincerity on this one.

Torina said...

This is too funny!!! I guess I'll tell the truth now, I still have some mixed tapes too, now though I have started making husbands mixed CDs. Wow, the greatness of the old skool ways!

Anonymous said...

I miss the actual process of making mix tapes. With tapes, you had to sit there and listen to the song. CDs, you just click a few times and you're done.
There's an art form to the mix tape that I think is missing from the mix cd.

The Savvy Savage said...

I totally feel you on this one. I am a huge music fan & my friends look to me to make them mix CDs too. Music is my best stress relief. I rely heavily on that cactus, lol!

Steven R. said...

You have touched something deep in my soul. I will now spend the next six hours making mixxes for loved ones. It's so much better than Hallmark.

Dukes Pokes said...

You've given me a great idea for a gift for my wife. Last time I did a photo album touching the high points of our lives together. I am always trying to think up something new and creative to do and a mixed CD is a great idea. Thanks!

Aubrey Ohmann said...

I love mix tapes!!!...or should I say mix CD's. I do agree that making a mix tape is an art form though, you have to get it just right or it will screw the songs up.

Anonymous said...

I totally value my mixed CD from birthday 27. Thanks Pruitt!